A bench grinder is utilized to drive an abrasive wheel for proper grinding of the wooden job. If you are a pro-grade woodworker, then you might be aware of the common grinder types that are mostly used for hand grinding of different cutting tools or shaping any rough wooden project or others. As the bench grinders are typically found in the woodshops fixed to the benchtop, it is not at all flexible in terms of portability. You have to bring the desired workpiece to it to work on. However, the ones who prefer the portable ones, go for the angle grinder model. Note: The best part of the grinder machine is you can replace the existing wheel on it with a buffing wheel or wire brush wheel, as per your purpose (like cleaning or polishing tasks, etc.). Also, the stiff abrasive wheels can be utilized to neat and rough metal or wooden edges and more. Although there are numerous bench grinder models available in the market, we have compiled a list of the finest quality benchtop grinders in the article. Every model has been discussed in brief followed by their respective pros and cons.
Table of Contents
10 Best Bench Grinders
The first one in the ten best bench grinders list is the DEWALT Bench Grinder 6-Inch (DW756). This one is a very simple tool that you can use effectively without any trouble. Probably, this is what makes the Dewalt Bench Grinder the best one. It has a powerful 5/8 horsepower fitted in the machine that powers two 6-inch wheels spinning at 3,450 revolutions per minute. This is one of the best grinders that you will ever come across. This is suitable for extracting material at high velocity.
The grinder has rear exhaust ports to make sure that it operates smoothly. For bigger grinding applications, the product has 121/2 inches of distance between the two grinding wheels. This grinder streamlines the precise positioning of various grinding tasks by the use of machined aluminum rests.
- Convenient to use
- Robust and fast electric motor
- Aluminum tool rests allow accurate positioning of the workpiece while grinding
- Has a rear exhaust port for smooth operation
- Wobbles a lot and causes vibration during operation.
SKIL 3380-01 6-Inch Bench Grinder is also one of the best bench grinders. If you are one of those who are looking for an affordable power tool that is of high-quality, then this is an excellent pick for you.
With this bench grinder, you have a grinding wheel scale, which is 6 inches. It is not a grinder that is designed for heavy-duty applications and usage. Skil is available in a small and portable form, making the tool perfect to fit in your workshop, resulting in less space.
Power rating of the electric motor present in this SKIL bench grinder is 2.1 Amp. But you can certainly expect a considerably better motor on its higher price tag. Thanks to the 3-year long warranty for the money that you are investing in this product. Its construction quality is also pretty decent and very close to the far more costly options out there.
- It is a good and robust grinding bench for users that are looking for an affordable brand.
- Good results using its 6-inch lightweight grinding wheel
- Internal LED lights present for easy use in both grinding wheels
- The electric motor should have been more robust.
For all the bench grinder buyers, Dewalt has been one of the oldest power brands that are out there for you. It is very well known for producing powerful and heavy-duty power tools of all types. DEWALT Bench Grinder 8-Inch (DW758) is also one such product that has proven its worth.
This is because this bench grinder is equipped with an extremely robust 4.2 A of an electric motor to operate the bench grinding wheel. Due to this power, this grinder wheel delivers a high motor speed, which produces 3600 revolutions per minute. Along with this, there is a huge 8-inch grinding wheel size in this bench grinder which makes it one of the best bench grinders for woodworking.
Dewalt is considered to be efficient; this bench grinder also offers you a 3-year long warranty. It’s built to make sure that you can continue using it for a long time without facing any problems. This product is excellent ergonomically and very convenient to use. This ease is all because of the 12 1⁄2 inch gap between the two grinding wheels.
- Guarantees high-quality performance
- Convenient to use controls for quick adjustment of grinding wheel speeds
- Strong and effective electric motor to achieve the right balance
- Very heavy due to bulky construction.
The Rikon Professional Power Tools 80-805 has to be included on our list. This product can produce enough power for you to go through simple home grinding projects. It is fitted with a 1/2 horsepower engine, which is significantly very small in size than many other models that we’ve seen yet. This product is powerful enough to fulfill the demands of carpenters, carvers, turners, and other craftsmen.
The grinder transfers its strength to two 8-inch wide grinding wheels. Out of two, one wheel is of 60-grit, while another one is a 120-grit wheel. Both of them can handle a huge range of materials. The product also has a cast iron base attached with anti-vibration rubber feet to reduce vibration throughout the operation. This helps in providing stability and sturdiness. You are guaranteed that grinding is quick and precise.
- Large grinding wheels of 8 inches
- High-power motor for basic grinding
- Stable rubber feet for stability and reduced vibration
- Safety protective features during grinder operation
- Very expensive product.
Sunex Tools (5001A) 6″ Bench Grinder is the lightest bench grinder on our list. It weighs 13 pounds only, making the grinder very light in weight than many others available in the market. This grinder’s weight makes this one a very compact machine which can be carried anywhere.
The motor of the machine operates on an efficient 3/4 horsepower engine with a speed of 3,450 revolutions per minute. This horsepower makes this product perfect for all your light-duty ventures, its also one of the best bench grinder for polishing.
For quick setup on a bench or indeed any other suitable workspace, the grinder is equipped with two wide mounting holes at its base. A 40-watt gooseneck work lamp is connected to the grinder to give your tasks the best lighting.
Work lamp has a flexible neck, which can be easily moved and modified to focus on the spot where light is required. Sunex has customizable eye-shields and spark guards to protect the user. The only disappointing factor is that you cannot use Sunex Tools for heavy-duty commercial projects.
- Powerful and fast motor
- Easy to install
- Light in weight and compact for portability
- Has a lamp to illuminate the workspace
- Not ideal for heavy-duty grinding.
Delta Power Tools 23-196 6-Inch Variable Speed Bench Grinder is amongst the best bench grinders for sharpening. It has a powerful 2.5 A and 12 V of an electric motor, which provides a lot of power for all your sharpening tasks.
Motor has a speed control of 2000-3,450 that is perfect for the professionals who own different equipment with different grinding needs. Delta Power Tools 23-196 is equipped with two grinding wheels, which are 6 inches in diameter and have 3/4 inches wide.
This bench grinder is suitable for household projects, which include the sharpening of gardening tools. The wheels are both of 36-grit and 60-grit. With this grinder, you will get a very long power cable of 6 feet so that you can use the tool easily. Even though Delta is powerful, it still weighs around 29 pounds. Therefore, you can certainly carry the grinder around easily.
- High-performance electric motor
- Two robust and effective grinding wheels
- Variable-speed for various applications
- Long cord has been provided to achieve the maximum results
- No illuminating light provided in the bench grinder
- Very heavy in weight
Yet, another 8-inch bench grinder suggested by us is Metabo DS 200 8-Inch Bench Grinder. You will be amazed to know that this tool produces very little noise during the operation.
For professionals, this one is undoubtedly the perfect one due to lightweight and portable nature. The 8-inch Metabo bench grinder is an extremely efficient machine. Though it’s quite strong when it is in operation, there is hardly any noise production.
The grinder has wheels that are available in different varieties and are scheduled to perform various tasks. This model is ideal for industrial use, and hence heavy-duty projects are handled efficiently with Metabo bench grinder. With the help of its robust electric motor, which produces 3000 RPM, the machine can provide sufficient grinding power.
- With its feature of producing 3,570 revolutions per minute, it can be used for every heavy-duty project
- Does not wobbles which make this bench grinder easy to use
- Has a simple dual-colored switch which allows convenient functioning
- Powerful motor and produces low-level noise
- Tool rest of the machine is not of good quality
- Not perfect for beginners
JET 577101 6-Inch Industrial Bench Grinder is undoubtedly one of the best picks for many professionals in search of an extremely powerful tool. Experts claim that this product has a very powerful electric motor that works at 4.1 A.
This makes the bench grinder the most preferable one compared to others. The 8-inch grinding wheel of Jet bench grinder promises to provide optimum performance.
Like every other product on the list, this one also has a warranty of one year only. Even though this machine’s manufacturing quality is excellent, it’s slightly bulky and large. For your peace of mind, the company has used heavy-duty cast iron to construct this machine. A JET bench grinder comes with the safety certifications CUS and CSA.
- Promises great performance using 4.1 A electric motor
- Produces no noise when in use
- Convenient to use a bench grinder with a proper control scheme
- Big grinding wheel for heavy-duty use
- It is on the heavier side, and hence you cannot carry it easily to your workspace.
- Slightly higher price tag
If you are acquainted with strong and heavy-duty bench grinders, then you certainly must have heard of Delta Power Tools. The company has been promisingly providing the best products to its users. This is why Delta Power Tools 23-197 8-Inch Variable Speed Bench Grinder had to be on our favorites list.
The most strong choice present in this article is the Delta Power Tools 23-197 bench grinder. All of this has been because of the large grinding wheel present in it.
The bench grinder is fitted with an electric motor, which is very powerful and operates at 5 A. Because of this, the 30 and 60 grit grinding wheels of this bench grinder can produce more than 3,400 revolutions per minute.
Yet another best thing about this tool is it’s very efficient and robust. It offers an excellent construction standard, which ensures this bench grinder can seamlessly last for a longer time. Due to its feature of variable speed, Delta 23-197 is one of best variable speed bench grinder.
- Extremely durable
- Comes along with a warranty of five years
- Reliable option which comes with a 5-year warranty
- Water tray and in-built shield provided when using coolant
- The product is a bit expensive.
The last one in this list is Genesis GBG800L 8″ Bench Grinder. It is a big, high-quality bench grinder designed to deliver excellent performance even in heavy-duty applications. For an excellent operating experience, the 1/2 HP induction motor operates quietly and seamlessly.
There is a heavy-duty iron base that features the rubber feet for stands and benchtops. The pre-drilled holes in this are suitable for surface bolting that adds strength and stability.
In addition, this product also features a pair of adjustable gooseneck lights that help you to have complete control of the project area lighting. The Genesis 8 bench grinder comes with a 60 grit and 36 grit wheel. You can add this bench grinder with dual lights to your workshop or garage also.
- Construction of this bench grinder is very durable
- Highly appreciated for its stability
- Gooseneck lights illuminate the workspace for safety
- Suitable for many projects at your home and industry
- With time, the wheels of the grinder will become wobbly
- Even though the motor is suitable for heavy-duty projects, it is still not that strong.
- Can be a bit tricky to use for beginners
Buyer’s Guide: Things to Consider While Buying a Bench Grinder
The professionals often pay attention to the grade and bond of the abrasive grinder wheel as it is the main part of the entire device. Based on its type, it is either used for shaping jobs, or sharpening any cutting tool, including chisels, bits (for drilling), tool bits, for sharpening cutting tools such as tool bits, drill bits, chisels, and gouges.
Moreover, the device finds a major part of its application in the metal industry as well, for rough metal shaping prior to fitting or welding tasks. However, if the buffing wheel is made of steel, then it is recommended not to use it on any softer metal, like Aluminium. Else, it may lodge the softer metal particles to the pores of the buffing wheel, which in turn will expand due to the heat produced from grinding action. Thereby, the expanded particles of the wheel may eventually dislodge causing injury. On the other hand, the wheels with vitreous property are usually found in most grinder machines, where the wheel has an inherent risk of cracking after little use only. That was general consideration. Now let’s check out the point-wise description of the considerable factors:
If you made it this far, here are the top picks:
- DEWALT Bench Grinder 6-Inch (DW756) has user convenience and has a fast cum robust electric motor to smoothly drive the grinding wheel for buffing any material type; be it metal, wood, or others. The all-in-one package makes this the leading bench grinder model on the list.
- Rikon Professional Power Tools 80-805 is meant for professionals to whom the performance and work output matter, but not the high budget. The durable tool rest makes the task comfortable for the user and the rubber feet maintains the tool stability and reduces vibration during operation.
- Metabo DS 200 8-Inch Bench Grinder produces minimal noise and is easy to use, however, the model is not for the tenderfoots, plus short-lived tool rests make it the third preference on the list.