A die grinder has always been a versatile tool, typically in the metalworking industry, as it has a wide collection of bits available. So, you can easily switch among the tasks by changing the bits accordingly. This jack-of-all tools is the sought among the woodworking professionals as well. Every die grinder brand comes up with one or more specialities apart from the general quality of a die grinder. While some are easy to use for prolonged hours, some have wider speed controlling range to use it for buffing harder surfaces. In this article, we have compiled a list of die grinders for the woodworking industry. Added to that, a buyer’s guide is included to help you in precise and correct selection of a die grinder that suits your purpose. In the end, we have recommended the top three picks to make your search more relevant, in case you couldn’t decide among the products on the list.
Table of Contents
Top 10 Die Grinders for Wood
1. DEWALT DWE4887
Dewalt DWE4887 is an electric-powered, high speed die grinder, whose motor can reach a speed limit of around 25,000 RPM, with zero vibration. The tool includes an easy paddle switch and a lock-on button that provides firm grip and hassle-free operation.
This model is suited to pro-grade users to do heavy duty woodworks that require continuous operation without a pause. This model can handle attachments (bits) of sizes ranging from 1 to ½ inch. Both the speed range and bits size range makes this die grinder perfect for both hard and soft material surfaces. The 14 inch tool size makes it suitable for using on distant workspots. The unit is compatible with both AC and DC capacity for versatility and better work output. The lock-on button prevents the tool from accidental cranking. This feature also prevents you from serious injuries when the tool is already running at its maximum speed. The package includes a precision collet sizing about ¼ inch and 2 wrenches to fit collet bits and other accessories (like cut-off wheels, grinding wheels, etc.). Apart from that, the ⅛ inch size reducing sleeve lets you use more accessories, thereby increasing task varieties.
The angular exhaust vent removes dust and debris away from the motor functioning. Keeping in mind all the features, we reckon it’s the electric die grinder for wood.
- Allows perfect grinding with pro-grade finish
- Versatile die grinder with collet size ranging from (¼ to ⅛) inch
- Runs on both AC and DC current
- Grinder design could be improved
- One speed limit
2. Makita GD0601
Makita GD0601 is typically recommended to the beginners for its easy to use features with improved performance delivery. The ergonomic motor design keeps the motor cool even after prolonged hours of usage. The exhaust path locks the unwanted particulate from directing into the internal chambers of the motor. This extends the durability of the grinder. The tool can be run both on AC/DC power sources based on the type of wood task assigned. This lightweight tool allows a wider range of grinding tasks, including welding, plumbing g, and other relevant jobs. The pro-grade grinder motor speed can reach up to 25,000 RPM during use.
The package comes with 2 wrenches to hold the ¼ inch collet in place, plus, the collect is compatible with a couple of bits ranging between 1 and ½ inch in diameter.
- Designed with heat-proof exhaust vent slots
- Powerful grinder motor can bring about 50% more torque, thus delivering higher speed limit
- Grinder is protected from allowing dust and debris to enter into the motor chamber
- Sound functioning grinding tool
- Sturdy aluminum construction to ensure durability
- Single, constant speed limit
- Poor quality cord material
3. Ingersoll Rand 301B
Ingersoll Rand 301B is preferred for its durability and brand reputation. It renders a wider range of features that makes it most recommended for automotive cum general maintenance tasks. This compact tool allows access to odd work spots at absolute ease. The motor delivers 0.25 HorsePower and runs at a maximum speed of 21,000 RPM. The exceptional ball-bearing design of 301B ensures improved balance, reduced level of vibration during operation, and extended tool life. It is a perfect kit for buffing hardwood surfaces.
The air velocity of this grinder is about 6 CFM which can be easily extended upto a capacity of 24 CFM (in case of heavy loads). You can conduct all types of grinding tasks with this compact die grinder. The safety lock system prevents accidental startup and mishaps during ongoing grinder application.
- Durable aluminium build to withstand harsh working conditions
- Ball-bearing design ensures improved performance and balance
- Minimal vibrations
- Forward exhaust vent keeps the workspot free from wood debris
- Lightweight and compact design ensures hassle working of the tool in tight spots
- Needs regular oiling
- Water may spit out from the compressor at times; you might need a moisture trap to prevent the leakage
4. Chicago Pneumatic CP875
Chicago Pneumatic CP875 is a powerful yet lightweight grinder too. It’s easy manoeuvrability and flexibility in buffing hard material surfaces makes it a great deal. The backward, high heat-resistant exhaust vent protects your health from harmful gases and also keeps the work spot clean.
The vent slots, in turn, keep the grinder motor cool during its operation. This adds durability to the unit. The air velocity delivered by the air compressor ranges from (11 to 22) CFM, based on the job load.Just like the previous models, the safe lock-on feature protects you from accidental start-ups, especially if any untrained person gains access to the tool. The 90-degree angular head facilitates porting, buffing, and high-speed blending in limited areas.
The bit size ranges about ¼ inch, plus, it can accommodate other buffing accessories and grinding wheels for finer grinding result. The motor rotating speed is around 22,500 RPM when an air pressure of 90 PSI (approx.) is fed to the machine.
- Easy handling of a compact design grinder tool
- Perfect for tight buffing requirements
- Includes a built-in air regulator
- Rear exhaust vent protects the craftsman from toxic gases by drawing out the air from the work spot
- Safety lock-off throttle prevents accidental grinder motor cranking
- No speed control range
- A moisture trap could increase the tool life
5. Ingersoll Rand 5102MAX
Ingersoll Rand 5102MAX is constructed with comfortable grip design which maximizes the work potential to continue with the task for longer hours without fatigue. This air die grinder allows swift changeover of abrasives and can withstand harsh working conditions without affecting the work quality. The built-in lube-free system keeps up the gear life of the machine. The spindle lock feature makes the attachment or accessory changing task easier and requires least effort to do so. The handy safety trigger and lock-off throttle are the two safety factors, where the former is exceptionally found in the 5102MAX model. The motor exhibits minimal vibration during operation. In all, the stable cum quality build of the grinder seems like it is made to last longer.
- Ergonomic grip design ensures longer run time of the tool
- Lubricating wick keeps the workplace cleaner during the tool operation
- Spindle lock system facilitates quick changeovers of buffing accessories
- Comparatively sound device
- Bulky model
- Grinder motor often stalls in the middle of a task
6. AirCat 6255 Professional Series
AirCat 6255 Professional Series die grinder is for daily tasks and is recommended for anyone. The amazing internal build, which includes the turbines, air chambers, and bearing surfaces, keeps the tool unaffected from damage, thus extending the tool life.
This heavy-duty power device ensures noiseless operation as ensured by its patented quiet technology. A minimal level of 85 Decibel of noise at maximum power supply. AirCat 6255 is an ideal choice for the domestic cum professional applications. The feather trigger system enables precise speed controlling ability. As the trigger is released, it doesn’t entirely cut out the airflow, thereby allowing the tool to operate even at low RPM. This 90 degree angled grinding tool.
This tool, being a 90 degree angle headed, adds extra functionality to the device in terms of rendering better user control. Other than that, the model weight and shape extends the tool life to survive more usage.
The rear exhaust vent keeps the work spot cleaner and very little to no exhaust air (harmful) comes towards the craftsman. The rear vent also contributes to reducing noise generation level to as low as possible.
- Ergonomic handle design reduces fatigue feeling and increases work potential
- Sound operation
- Little to no exposure to debris and harmful exhaust gas
- Better speed control ensured by the feather trigger system
- Motor is relatively less powerful than the other models on the list
- Motor stalls if the pressure inside the air compressor falls
7. Astro 218
Astro Pneumatic 218 is designed in a way that it could finesse a range of woodworking tasks. The grinder includes a handle made of composite material to lower the vibration level during the tool application. Variable speed control feature, speed porting and precise finishing makes it an all-in-one versatile tool for using in heavy-duty compared to other similar models.
Apart from a lightweight die grinder, its motor can deliver the highest speed limit of up to 56,000 RPM. This RPM enables the pencil grinder to work in the finishing touch of small parts with great precision and perfection. The pressure level of the air compressor ranges from (90 to 120) PSI. You can do a varied range of tasks with this compact pneumatic grinder which includes; rotors and mounts, back plate cleaning, using in limited spaces, etc.
The 5 feet hose gives mobility to the compressor to move it around the work spot, when needed. The collet size is ⅛ inch and comes with a set of bits of 8 different sizes, where each bit is meant for a specific task- carving, grinding, buffing, cutting, engraving, and many others. Note: Bits are relatively short-lived.
- Variable speed control feature
- Lightweight model
- Package includes a set of 8 bits
- Decrease noise production
- Bits are of poor quality
- Product doesn’t come with a user guide
8. Chicago Pneumatic CP860 Die Grinder
Chicago Pneumatic CP860 Air die grinder features a higher speed range of 24,000 RPM. However, the speed here is adjustable to set the tool according to the task to be performed. The model is extremely lightweight, so you can carry it around to remote work spots (if required).
The square handle ensures better grip on the tool during use. The collet size is about ¼ inch and the lock-off throttle prevents accidental startup of the grinder, if accessed by any unauthorised or untrained person. Note: The placement of the exhaust vent is relatively odd in this model. As a result, the exhaust air blows back to the user, rather than blowing out through the front just like in most die grinder models. This is the only setback of the CP 860.
- Powerful grinder motor
- Maneuverable speed control feature
- Lightweight construction
- Odd position of the exhaust vent
9. AIRCAT 6280
Aircat 6280 die grinder includes a powerful non-stalling motor that delivers about 0.7 HorsePower, which is perfect for industrial woodworking tasks. The spindle lock feature makes changovers of grinder attachments (grinding wheels, bits, or abrasives) easier and quicker. The Erickson type collect of ¼ inch size ensures maximum grip of the grinder attachments. The average rotating speed of the grinder motor is about 18,000 RPM with minimal to no noise level of 79 Decibel. The air velocity rendered by the compressor is approximately 4.1 CFM.
- Lightweight and easy to use tool feature
- Spindle lock prevents mishaps
- Rear exhaust vent protects the user from harmful exhaust gas and keeps the work spot clean
- Some users reported about the poor quality construction of the tool
10. Chicago Pneumatic CP876 Mini Die Grinder
Chicago Pneumatic CP876 Mini Die Grinder, as the name suggests, is a compact sized tool with a safety lock-off throttle to prevent mishap if accidentally turned on by an unauthorized person. The model is lightweight and the inbuilt regulator adjusts the tool according to the type of task to be performed. With CP875, you can perform a wide range of woodworking jobs like: porting, smoothing, deburring, and blending, etc. The average speed range of the grinder motor is 28,000 RPM.
- Handy tool with great functionality
- Safety lock-off system to prevent accidental injury
- Versatile; can perform multiple types of tasks including deburring, porting, etc.
- Bare tool; you have to buy all the basic components and bit attachments, separately.
Buyer’s Guide: Considerable factors while buying a die grinder for wood
As you have checked above, die grinders are of different categories in terms of collet size, power source and others. While some have ¼ inch collect, the others have ⅛ inch collect.
The former can support a couple of bits but the latter, being a smaller unit, doesn’t support multiple bit installation. However, it can support tasks really well. Furthermore, the higher range of RPM, incredible power source, etc. are yet to be discussed in the following table. But, before proceeding further, you must be sure about the type of job for which you are here. Plus, the cost of your chosen model might play a significant role while making the end decision, but here are the priority factors:
All the die grinder models discussed above are unique and most-sought models of 2020. But, you must pick the one that suits your convenience. You can also check out our top 3 recommendations from the list of the die grinders for wood:
- DEWALT DWE4887: all on the list in terms of versatility, power source, and performance delivery
- Chicago Pneumatic CP875: Perfect for those looking for an ergonomically designed and safety-features-driven die grinder with good CFM rating.
- Astro Pneumatic 218: Fit for those looking for a lightweight grinder featuring variable speed control system and good PSI rating.