From a woodcrafter’s perspective, having a utility knife is not a workshop necessity to carry out one’s wood tasks. Yet, what’s the harm in keeping such an all-purpose tool in your toolbox? Sometimes we need a sharp edged tool to carry out some intricate, menial yet crucial tasks to add fine details to what we do. You may also need the tool for cutting carpets, shaving drywalls, etc. That’s why we have come up with a detailed profile of top 10 utility knives. We have also discussed how to determine which knife would be suitable for your purpose.
Table of Contents
1. Milwaukee 48-22-1500 Fastback Utility Knife : folding utility knife
Milwaukee Fastback Compact Knife would be the option for those looking for multipurpose equipment for cutting almost all of the materials. Its compact size and lightweight of 4.2 ounces make it possible to work in tight environmental conditions continuously for a long time. Due to its comfortable and steady grip, you can quickly wear and tear the materials even one-handedly. It is the folding pocket utility knife. The blade is already attached to it, which lets you work immediately after taking it out from the packaging. Milwaukee Fastback Knife is one of the knives available in the market. Its tool-free blade with metal extension helps to prevent any mishappening while changing it. It also comes with a durable wire belt clip, which reduces pocket yearning when this tool is kept inside the pocket. It is also comfortable and durable to use because of its press and flip feature.
- Lightweight and easy to use
- Durable wire belt clip and have blade holder.
- Ergonomic grip for better handling
- Versatile Nature
- Can also work in tight environmental conditions
- Warranty against defect in materials or artistry
- Sometimes it feels cheap because of its plastic built.
2. FC Folding Pocket Utility Knife – pocket utility knife
FC Folding Utility Knife is the option available in the market for pocket utility. It comes with the quick changing blades and a lock-back design, which makes it look more premium and classy. It can be folded easily and fits in your pocket for quick retrieval. Its 4.8 ounces weight made up of anodised aluminium body makes it lightweight, rust-resistant with anti-slip grip. It is available in various colours. Its heavy-duty carbon steel blades help it to sharpen for a longer duration. It also comes with a knife holster and five extra replacement blades in it. It accepts all the standard size utility knife blades, and it can be changed without additional tools. It is comfortable to hold for an extended period, and its stainless steel clip makes it more portable and easy to carry anywhere.
- Blades are good and sharp
- Value for money
- Premium build quality
- Comfortable and easy to hold
- The blade retention button is made up of plastic.
- It does not fit well because it has a lot of extra horizontal room but too little vertical space.
3. IRWIN Utility Knife for Drywall – for drywall
IRWIN Utility Knife is specially made for the drywall and other material, which requires a fixed blade. It is made up of steel and comes with a silver metallic colour, which makes it premium. The product is highly durable and easy to use. It has a quick change button, which helps you change the blade by simply sliding on it. Its locking mechanism keeps the edge from snapping a shot during its constant use, and the thumb ledge also increases cutting control effectively.Its mechanism forms a 45° angle while folding, which helps to prevent injuries. Its ergonomic handle and triggered grip provide it with an edge over other tools as it gives good handling and a user an optimum cutting handle. A 4-point blade that offers the sharpness within cutting the objects and changing out of the dull blades is also safer.
- Premium Build quality
- Ergonomic handle and trigger trip
- Cuts quickly and smoothly
- Easy changing of blades
- The knob isn’t tight. So it loosens partly while in your hand, which may cause an issue.
4. Estwing RK-7 Roofing Utility Knife – for roofing
Estwing RK-7 Roofing Utility Knife is the knife for roofing purposes. It is made up of plated heavy gauge steel, which helps us cut all the rolled roofings and the shingles. It also comes with easily replaceable butterfly blades, which can be adjusted to the exact depth. Many different types of blade styles are available; you can change it according to your convenience. It is 7 inches in length with an item weight of 5 ounces. It is made up of solid American steel by taking care of every small thing to ensure a significant efficiency level. It is rugged and durable for daily usage. It is one of the most attractive tools when it comes to striking and roofing purposes. It includes replacement roofing blades also along with it, and the knife is even carded.
- Easy to replace blades
- Blade storage on handle
- Interlocking nose to hold the knife safely.
- Strong and sharper blades
- Some plastic parts are present, which can be quickly brown if it falls from the rooftop.
5. BIBURY Pocket Carpet Utility Knife – for carpet cutting
BIBURY Utility Knife would be the choice as a pocket knife for carpet and leather cutting. This ten replaceable SK5 Stainless Steel blades and a belt clip, and It is available in 4 different cs; SK5 blade is exceptionally sharp and robust, so its cutting effect is excellent. Trapezoidal blades are also present, which are multifunctional and even carefully polished.For maintaining safety, the blade tip is also covered with a plastic protector, and a pocket clip is present on the body that can easily carry the box cutter outside. You can also create an anti-slip handle and an anti-slip button on its body. It is made up of high-quality anodised aluminium and stainless steel, which make it rust-resistance. It also includes a 1-year product warranty along with it.
- Durable and multipurpose usability
- Rust resistance
- Portable and easy to carry
- Sharp and strong blades
- Comprehensive protection of blade
- It has no curved edge for more complex slicing and cutting.
6. WEUPE Hook Blade Utility Knife – utility knife made in USA
WEUPE Hook blade Knife is one the utility knives made in the USA as It comes with five utility hook blades with heavy-duty retractable utility. It provides a comfortable grip with a shingle cutter and a roofing knife. Its no-hinge design allows you to hold the edge for a long time comfortably. Its superior American-made quality blades can easily cut through the carpets, roofing materials, fabric and cartons. The hook blades help you prevent unnecessary damage to the surface, often caused by straight edges. It fits most of the blade brands and gives the convenience to store extra Handel blades. It is made up of steel with an item weight of 6.4 ounces. Its blade easily retracts to lock safely within a metal frame when we finished using it.
- Long-lasting and easy holding
- Easy changing of blades
- Multipurpose usage
- Foldable and good looking design
- The detent button is poorly secured to the slide mechanism.
- The blade is tough to extend and retract
7. RoverTac Pocket Multitool Folding Knife – all-purpose utility knife
RoverTac Pocket Multitool folding knife would be the option to choose because of its versatile nature and multipurpose usage. Its multi-tool contains one knife blade, needle nose and regular pliers, wire cutter, can/bottle opener and a screensaver bi adapter with 9 in 1 screwdriver set. It is built with full stainless steel and coated with black oxidation. It is black with an Item weight of 0.49 pounds, and it is 3.15 inches in length. This tool will be the perfect choice for camping, hiking, fishing and all other outdoor activities. Its safeguard losing mechanism prevents the blade from accidentally closing on your fingers, preventing injuries due to it. It comes with a nylon pouch, making it much more convenient to carry on a belt loop. It can also be a sound suitable for adventure seekers.
- Multipurpose Usage
- Premium build quality
- Strong and reliable
- Easy to handle
- Portable and value for money
- It may seem heavyweight because of the presence of multiple tools.
8. Pacific Handy Cutter S4R Safety Cutter, Retractable Utility Knife – in budget
Pacific Handy cutter S4R Safety Cutter is the budget-friendly option for the knife for warehousing and in-store cutting. It comes with an ergonomic design with a bladeless tape splitter. It is made up of metal with an item weight of 9 grams. Three adjustable blades are present, which allows us for reliable and controlled top cuttings. Safety guards cover the edges every time during e top cutting to prevent injuries and ensure a high-efficiency level.Tool-free blade changing option and the storage compartment that holds up to 5 extra safety blades are available, making sure that you will not be struck with the dull edge in between. Due to its comfortable handling, it makes high-frequency usage possible with minimum fatigue. The uniquely-structured steel guard helps flawlessly executing the cut every time.
- Easy to use
- Value for money
- Ergonomic Designs
- Steel guard for safety and damage protection
- The cutter does not have a belt clip; a separate lanyard loop is needed for that.
9. IRWIN Hi-Vis Retractable Utility Knife 2082300 – retractable utility knife
IRWIN Hi-Vis Retractable Utility knife, as suggested by the name it is suitable for retractable work. It is in orange colour, made up of metal, which looks highly attractive and classy and can easily be spotted at the job site. Cutter offers inside storage of up to 5 blades. It has an optimised cutting angle for reduced hand fatigue as It includes 3 IRWIN 4-point snap bi-metal utility blades shipped inside the handle. Thumb ledge increases cutting control, and during usage, its locking mechanism keeps the blade from snapping shut. IRWIN Utility Knife lets the blade slide smoothly forward and allows you to pop in a replacement within seconds. A screw is also permanently captured in the casing to prevent the loss.
- Looks attractive and classy
- Reliable and comfortable
- Locking mechanism
- Highly Sharpened blades
- It has a slight tendency to get a stick on the last notch when you retract it.
10. Kutir Premium Utility Knife – Premium utility knife
Kutir Premium Utility Knife is the option because of its premium build quality and classy look. It has a comfortable non-slip grip and good handling because of its metal handle rubber grip, and its Razor has three different blade lengths for the exact cuts.It has a covering on its top, which makes it extra safe and secure. Self-load extra blades option is available as it comes with two knives and eight different blades inside the fork. It can act as a box, vinyl, leather and other types of cutter as well. It is a lightweight product of 4.8 ounces.
- Lightweight product
- Value for money
- Very easy to replace old blades
- Solid blades and heavy-duty handle
- The knives are made up of plastic with metal blades, which will easily rust if left outside.
Buying guide: Things to Consider While Choosing a Utility Knife
Buying the utility knife, out of the many that suits your purpose, requires proper knowledge regarding this tool. You may find varied designs/features of utility tools available in the market and get confused while deciding which one to stick to. So, we have listed some factors below that be considered while purchasing a utility knife:
Now that you have a fair knowledge about utility knives, we hope your product selection from the above list will be way easier. However, if you are still finding it difficult to stick to which model, here are our top three picks:
- Milwaukee Fastback Compact Knife This product is for those who are looking for a lightweight, foldable, and versatile utility knife.
- Pacific Handy cutter S4R Safety Cutter This model is for those who are looking for a budget-friendly option, which is easy to use because of its ergonomic design and steel guard safety feature.
- Kutir Premium Utility Knife If you are looking for a premium utility knife, then this is it. The blades are sturdy along with its handle. Plus, the blades are easily replaceable when they get old.